LIGO Weekly Report for the week of 12 June - 16 June 2017
Past Weekly Reports
The monthly LIGO Staffing Committee meeting will preempt the Executive Committee meeting this coming Monday
The King of Spain also wrote a congratulatory letter to Laura Cadonati as the LSC representative.
The 2017 Albert Einstein Society Medal and Certificate, awarded to the LSC and Virgo Collaboration were accepted by Gabriela González and David Shoemaker. The medal will be displayed at LHO and the certificate will be displayed at LLO.
This past week, a number of Laboratory staff and several LSC members were at Hanford taking part in the annual NSF review of LIGO Operations. Once again, the review was a success, with the committee congratulating us and making a number of observations and recommendations. Here are some of their closeout remarks (LIGO
refers to both the Laboratory and collaboration where applicable):
“LIGO is to be congratulated on the detection of another BH-BH merger. Particularly impressive is the 10% improvement in SNR by removing the known laser pointing noise at LHO from the data.”
“LIGO continues to make excellent progress in the understanding of the main noise sources as a result of O2 activities, although uncertainty remains (especially scattered light).”
“LIGO has been paying close attention to the resource needs of their codes and the ways in which they can run cost-effectively on all relevant current and near-future architectures. Over the last two years the computationally demanding CBC search code has been re-engineered to consume ten times less CPU time a transformational achievement.”
“The Panel commends the LIGO team for the successful adoption and implementation of key managerial and tracking tools across the LIGO sites.”
“The redirection of LIGO’s experimental effort in optical coating research is very good. Increasing the "cadence of coating experiments" and establishing relationships with academic coating groups will provide new insight for the problem.”
David Shoemaker (Laura Cadonati)
The King of Spain informed the LSC that the 2017 Princess of Asturias Awards for Technical and Scientific Research has been granted to the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, with Weiss, Thorne, and Barish.
The NSF Review of the LIGO Laboratory was held, with LSC participation
LIGO Laboratory Administration
- Reviewed purchases for proper expenditure type designation and completed equipment screenings
- Processed equipment receiving, inspection, identification-tagging, movement, storage and disposition requests
- Managed logistics activities across the laboratory
- DCC property uploads
- Property process and training updates
- NPMA study group for higher certification
Technical Writing Sevices
- FY17 Q3 ppt template completed
- FY17 Q3 spreadsheet template completed
- First FY17Q3 report notices sent out. Spreadsheet- and presentation-templates for each group emailed
- Updating/revising AWP Task Tracking Table to facilitate greater statistics capabilities
- FY18 AWP report drafting in progress
- Completed edit/update of 3IFO LTS plan for Betsy and Nichole
General Business Services
- Processed expense reports.
- Allocated Pcard transactions.
- Answered inquiries from internal customers.
- Worked with external customers to facilitate travel accommodations.
- Updated CIT and LHO travel calendar.
- Processed visitors’ paperwork and submitted to appropriate department’s on campus.
- Tracked status of visitor’s through the approval process.
- Worked with LHO LSC Fellows mentor regarding housing for new arriving Fellows.
- Processed several payments for the LSC Activities fee.
- Assisted Hannah with NSF review at LHO.
- Processed NSF panel members meal payments for the NSF Review.
- Trained new Business Administrative Assistant.
LIGO Laboratory Safety
Albert Lazzarini (Richard Oram, Bubba Gately)
Be mindful of opportunities to help prevent a colleague being injured or preventing damage to our sensitive equipment. Report "Good Catches" to your supervisor or at this URL . When we report a "Good Catch", we give ourselves the greatest opportunity to correct unsafe conditions, equipment or risky work behavior before an incident occurs
- Attended NSF review at Hanford Observatory
- Investigated report of possible malicious code
LIGO Hanford Observatory (LHO) and Interferometer Operations
- C. Carrasco, B. Gateley, K. Roland, C. Soike - Facilities
- Prepare site for NSF Review.
- Sat in on a NSF Breakout Session on Risk Management, Budget, and FAMIS.
- Make temporary repairs to OSB front door after the wind blew it open and sprung the door frame.
- Made some changes to the FMCS system at EX.
- Reconciliation for P-Card.
- Daily and weekly system checks and FAMIS duties.
- R. McCarthy - Facilities electronics
- Worked on the auditorium video system and controls. Replaced cabling from the podium to control cabinet closet.
- B. Weaver - SUS
- At the end of last week, worked with Janeen and Vern on the vent schedules. Fleshed out order, timelines, and crews on many chambers-worth of activities for them. Chamber vent order of operations is still TBD, and line item work still needs attention.
- Worked with Rick to receive, inspect, QAQC, and enter into the clean and bake process, 8 sets of PMC cavity assembly parts and tools for LLO, LHO, KAGRA. Cleaned and loaded PMC PZTs into air bake oven in order to outgas them prior to assembly.
- Worked through VOPO sus assy dowel pin thru hole issue with the much appreciated help of Rick (I think he owed me for the above!). Some of the dowel pin through holes on the VOPO Blade assembly clamps were too small to easily pass the dowel through, where it was supposed to be a slip fit. Although the holes were gauge checked by the machine shop, they are still too tight. Rick checked over drawing tolerances and the reamer I purchased to do some hand rework. After much conversation of best routes forward, he suggested purchasing slightly smaller dowels (-0.0002 +0.0, vs. 0.0 +0.0002 for what was in hand). These go in the clean/bake load scheduled for over the weekend and we'll continue final assembly of the LLO unit later next week.
- Worked through and remedied tripped TCSY laser on TUES - McCarthy thinks it may have been related to the CER room HVAC work which maybe glitched a few things. Separately, added water to chiller after it was reported to be low.
- Wrote 3IFO inventory status update document with Calum. Consolidated open punchlist items.
- LIGO-T1700252: 3rd IFO Annual Inventroy Review (stock-taking) - June 2017
- Shipped case of various things to Janeen, including the LLO Tip Tilt which TJ and I assembled. Worked through mess of ICS records related to this shipment.
- Continued work on 3IFO ICS record building - linked in all of 3IFO ISC subsystem.
- Checked on and pushed on a few vent prep tasks.
Hugh Radkins and Jim Warner
- Corner Station Floor tilting study continues, alog 36739
- HAM6-ISI/SUS-OMC watch dog connection made, alogs 36658 &
- HAM Tilt Decoupling, alog 36664 [JimW]
- 3IFO/H1 inventory ICS
- Regular maintenance
Electronics, Control and Data Systems Operations
F. Clara, C. Perez, M. Pirello, Ed Merilh, G. Moreno
- Installed 2 Cables for GigE cameras for IO installation on PSL table. ECR E170001
- Noticed drifting channels on Green WFS at EY. We replaced the Beckhoff ADC EL3104module. Will keep an eye on channels.
- Working on last batch of AA/AI boards that need to be modified to V6. Ordered 1k of AD8622 chips.
- Fix anemometer on the corner station. Looks like one of the wires was not making good contact in the box.
- Working on squeezer documentation making sure everything has serial numbers
- Troubleshooting but no repair yet to the accelerometers on the Fans at EY. We found a blown fuse but do to time constraints have not narrowed down the cause.
- Looking at a reliable way to have IFO audio for users in the control room.
- Kitting parts for Common Mode boards to be manufactured for squeezing.
- In talks with Electric Utility provider about future plans for our substation and our loads.
Control Room Operators
OPERATOR OFF-SHIFT WORK
- Went through exercise of Checking SVN Status of critical files (a new Operator task).
- Updated our Ops Checksheet to add new task for checking SVN status of files
- Went through inventory of Patch Panels for Squeezer & preparing to order hardware.
- Continued some 3IFO work.
- Outreach: Tentatively scheduled to present at the Run As One Youth Conference on Siksika Nation.
- FAMIS Tasks Completed: 6152
- Continued building of RF Amplifiers for squeezer.
- PCal working standard and checking standard ratios measurements.
- Ordered tools for VOPO assembly.
Updated FMCS BACNet IOC (alog 36834)
- D. Barker, CDS computing
- Building the LHO DAQ test stand to support kernel3.0.8 regression testing, long range dolphin IPC and ZeroMQ middleware tests. Adding remote power management and additional front end computers (without IO Chassis). Coming up to speed on ZeroMQ programming.
- Supported FMCS and ISI HAM6 code changes.
- Stopped all MY vacuum CP autofill code and associated reporting code.
- J. Hanks, CDS computing
- Consulted with Jamie regarding the global SDF effort. He will use my
- Reviewed the epics->websocket code with Jamie
- Reviewed how to handle leap seconds in the CDS software with Jamie
- Added daqd to the new cds software build service
- Converting LHO test stand workstations from OSX to Debian 8
- Working on a run number/configuration number system for daqd to allow
optimizations in nds1/nds2.
- review of zmq code with Rolf and Dave
Daniel Sigg (Keita Kawabe)
No commissioning due to O2.
Virgo's engineering run started (first half Friday, June 16th at 8:00 UTC to Monday June 19th at 8:00 UTC, second half Friday, June 23 at 8:00 UTC to Monday June 26th at 8:00 UTC). We're producing 3-IFO coincidence data.
H1 has been running with somewhat worse noise than pre-vent. Clearly the jitter coupling has been worse than before, and it was very likely related to the alignment change we experienced due to vent. An initial investigation to change the beam position on the test masses looks very promising (alog 36957). We'll continue investigation next week.
A new 86Hz line was found and fixed. This was related to a high frequency calibration line introduced earlier, and somehow that was down converted (alog 36917 and 36959).
RF45 noise came back (alog 36948).
Education and Public Outreach
- Held one field trip.
- Host UW New Faculty tour - Jenne Driggers
- Conducted 3 virtual visits
- Completed planning for upcoming teacher workshop
- Participated in STAR program meeting
LIGO Livingston Observatory (LLO) and Interferometer Operations
Attending the NSF review at LHO.
Attending the NSF review at LHO.
Attending the NSF review at LHO.
Janeen Romie (Richard Oram)
Reporting for the last couple of weeks for the LLO Detector Engineering Group: Stuart Aston, Matt Heintze, Adam Mullavey, Arnaud Pele
Supporting interferometer alignment, debugging, commissioning and locking efforts. On-call 24/7 to help ensure maximum quality up-time of the IFO.
After much work, the LLO PSL team with the help of Olli Puncken have gotten the HPO of the engineering prototype system up and running. See the Training and Test (TNT) alog for many more details, including alog 11321. Bastian Schulz will be visiting LLO next week to debug the 35W laser in the TNT lab to allow the team to continue with the 70W amplifier testing. Coordinated the delivery of the LHO 70W amplifier. Congratulations to the team for all of their hard work and long hours.
Carried out a burst hardware injection, details in alog 34328. The waveform was that of a supernova. Analysis will be carried out by the supernova team.
Investigating the recent issues with increasing the IFO power up to 25W. With help from Andrew Spencer, an LSC fellow at LLO, we believe we have worked out when these problems started and why they started. During the power up, there are noticeable glitches in the ASC-AS45Q signal that were not there 6 months ago. These glitches began occurring on 29th March when we switched the Quadruple suspension PUM coil drivers to the low noise state. Looking at the saturation counters and the PUM digital outputs during power up, we see that they are saturating. Congratulations to Adam & Andrew et al for their efforts, which were successful - see alog 34337
During the power up investigation, we found an issue with the X-end Photon Calibrator shutter, the half-wave plate used to increase power and issues with the power-up stage in the locking script. All of these have been addressed.
Further power up investigations had us measuring quad oplev damping loops to see if the control could be increased to help reduce the instability. Although the oplev do not sense large motion during the power up, so they would not be useful.
Monitoring OpLevs for stability, noticed ETMY appears to be exhibiting glitching, which may require attention during the next maintenance period, see alog 34190.
Added to the Guardian diagnostic node monitoring for discrepancies between the requested PSL rotation stage power and the power measured into the IMC, to assist with identifying when re-calibration of the rotation stage is necessary, see alog 34180.
Analyzing charge measurements to monitor the charge situation for both ETMs, and recommending to flip the bias on ETMY at the next opportunity, as well on ETMX in an attempt to manage charge on the LL quad]rant, see alog 34261and alog 34155.
Continuing with preparations for testing the Squeezer suspension in the Optics Lab, working on setting up a test stand.
A new feedforward scheme, in alog 34117was implemented which can reduce
noise between 5 and 15Hz.
Support debugging efforts for the ITMX QUAD suspension L1 (UIM) stage LL channel BIO coil driver which spontaneously switched the state of a LP filter, see alog 34274.
Investigating ETMX ring heater warnings reported by the Guardian diagnostic node, which appears to be glitches, therefore, we are continuing to monitor closely, alog 34264.
Completed modifying 2 OpLevs + 3 OpLev enclosures in accordance with ECR E1500224, which will be shipped to LHO for 3 IFO imminently.
Debugged problems with the lockloss app, so operators can start posting plots of locklosses on the alog. There was some errors that were corrected in the script that made the data acquisition more reliable, although there are still problems with nds. Keith has upgraded the control room with a new nds version, and we are currently testing it to see the improvement.
Using data from times when there were thunderstorms over the site to determine if there are indications that some scattering noise comes from the so-called “swiss cheese baffle” in the input mode cleaner tube, see alog 34161. One to 500Hz noise injections were made in the HAM-ISI platforms to try reproduce the thunderstorms. No large coupling to DARM was found so far, but the BSC-ISI remain to test, as well as lower frequencies, see alog 34331
Performed weekly FAMIS tasks for PSL and TCS.
Visited LHO last week to work with them on the LLO tip tilt suspension for the post 02 in-chamber SQZ installation. Also worked on the LLO VOPO assembly at LHO. It will be shipped to LLO for further assembly and testing. Procurement of various SQZ items.
Working with Betsy & Vern on post 02 vent schedules and labor. Planning a welding practice at LHO the week of July 17th in preparation for the LHO ITM work just after the end of the run.
Procurement of vibration absorbers for future PCal periscope additions.
Control Room Operators
Gary Traylor (Richard Oram)
Gary Traylor, Mike Fyffe, Doug Lormand, Joe Hanson, Danny Sellers, Jeremy Birch, Tom Evans, William Parker, Bryan Smith
Bryan Smith, Gary Traylor, Danny Sellers, Tom Evans, Mike Fyffe, Joe Hanson
- Site safety, security and data collection with 24hr work schedule.
Assigned FAMIS work orders
Completed assigned FAMIS work orders
Trained William Parker on cleaning class A parts
Machined several parts for 70W laser lab
Assisted Harry Overmier with VPW housekeeping
Worked briefly on Pod testing prep
Computing and Electronics (CDS, etc.)
- Deployed next major update to the new puppet server rules. 50% of CDS servers now using new puppet server.
- Created SL7 package for pyDV (Python DataViewer replacement)
- Configured new spare EtherCAT server for use on the EE LAN
- Cleaned backup vtape 11
- Identified and fixed problem using the foton python bindings on the SL7 workstations
- Installed Xfce desktop on all SL7 workstations to fix deficiencies in existing Gnome3 desktop
- Succeeded in getting git cloning to work on the new daqsvn server. The SL7 daqsvn server is now ready to switch over during the next maintenance Tuesday.
- Assisted Keith Thorne in swapping the hardware for Y-end EtherCAT computer
- Archived autoburt snapshots for February
- Wrote auto script for cr38 (wall-display) to add new elements
DAQ Test Stand work
- Restored to target configuration for early post-O2 (Gentoo kernel 3.0.8 boot-server, long-distance PCIe RFM server)
CDS Face2Face at LHO
- Participated in making work assignments for next few months. My focus will be getting real-time kernel on Debian 8, Dolphin IX testing.
- On LHO DAQ test stand, tracked down previously-sent Gentoo kernel 3.0.8 boot-server and updated to current packages.
- Identified Xfce desktop in use at LHO as solution to deficiencies with current Gnome desktop at LLO.
- With Dwayne Giardina, got DAQ test-stand logbook set up
- CDS Tuesday Maintenance tasks
- Restarted Earthquake monitor (SEISMON) that had stopped getting USGS updates. Now working normally
- With Arnaud Pele, identified persistent failure after repeated fetches in MATLAB Java nds2-client. Posted to NDS2 bug tracker.
- Upgraded LLO CDS to current release (nds2-client–0.14.2) to address ongoing failures with older version (0.14.0)
Paul Corban (vacation)
Carl Adams, Michael Laxen
- Laser T&T Lab - Assembling cables
- Chassis assembly
- Acceptance testing
- Leak Check testing, troubleshooting Cold Trap Temperature readout
- EE lab cleanup and organizing
- Dust Monitor upgrade - Lab testing of RS485 bus
- Lab testing of PSL Rotation Stage
- Troubleshooting of Pcal shutter ( Bad shutter, replaced)
- Troubleshooting of SUS ITMX UIM Binary issue (Reseating cables from BIO card cleared error)
Timothy Nelson (Richard Oram)
Projects and Enhancements
Facilities continues summer time PMs on all HVAC systems including condenser coil cleaning on the End Stations and Corner Building chillers during Maintenance Tuesdays and all other areas outside of the maintenance period.
Facilities continues to complete all FRS requests and other daily duties including, custodial cleaning of the Corner Building, SEC, and Staging Building as well as technical cleaning in accessible garbing areas.
Facilities continues to complete as many requests in house in order to save money including HVAC service and repair, electrical service and repair, plumbing service and repair, and general maintenance tasks.
Education and Outreach
- Conducted four K–12 summer camp tours. Facilitated by Kathy Holt, William Katzman, and Tien Huynh-dinh.
- Conducted 1 public tour. Facilitated by Tien Huynh-Dinh and William Katzman.
- Scheduled groups for next school year.
- Prepared for upcoming teacher workshops.
- Arranged for a talk by Gabriela Gonzalez at the local observatory Facilitated by Kathy Holt.
Mechanics, Optics & Vacuum
- Further work on BRDs for beamsplitter (BS). Took data with BRDs attached to the BS. Reduced in-air Qs of the BS from ~3000 to ~600 or less. Writing up results. Did cost estimate for supplying BRDs for the installed BSs.
- Sent in comments on SWG section of the white paper.
- Put together summary of visits in FY17 supported by the LIGO visitors program, for annual report.
we keep testing feethru and fibers at high power, in vacuum. After three weeks of continuous test, the transmission sag seems to have settled, and the transmitted power is still sufficient to carry out the VOPO experiment. We need to accumulate more data to gain confidence the transmission has definitely settled.
we completed the inspection of the cavity parts. No major issues, only a few tap holes not deep as specified in the drawings. We adjusted the hardware accordingly.
updated the cavity parts drawings to reflect small changes made to ease fabrication, and assembly drawings to reflect hardware changes.
preparing the tooling tests (suspension blades and wires loading)
placed the orders to make the home-made feedthrus and fibers for the sites
- Finalized drawing package of SLiC Septum Baffles
- Detailed concept of SLiC baffles for MC1 and MC3
- Prepared various CAD images from ITMx to BS for scatter evaluation
- Placed order for SLic Baffles machined components
- Followed up on SLic sheetmetal Baffles RFQ
- Worked with Corey A on importing files from SW to Zemax to verify new SLiC baffles perform as they should.
- Followed up on orders of components that will be used for the expansion of the laser damage setup
- STRAY light: Failed laser at CASI setup was replaced with a new one (Alena A. and Liyuan Z.) Scatter measurements are resumed. Tested new samples of DLC on directional super polished #8 SSTL and Black Ni on Super #8 from a new vendor - https://dcc.ligo.org/T1700128
- CRIME: A wafers holder used for with Tantalum Pentoxide depositions at Fort Collins was modified. The modified holder does not damage the bevel of the optics anymore but there is a slight change in Q values comparing to old measurements. We need to make more tests to find out if any other steps of handling can affect Q values (Alena A., Calum T., Gabriele V.).
Control and Data Systems
Documentation work this week:
- Writing up design document for a new CDS I/O chassis based on PCIe Gen 2 (LIGO-T1700265).
- Putting together a CDS software development plan for the next year. This captures items discussed at the CDS F2F meeting held at LHO last week.
Working with D. Barker at LHO on new real-time computer to DAQ system network drivers. Those presently being used are no longer supported.
- Continuing squeezer hardware build. Summer Engineering Intern has made good progress on assembly of Acromag 384 Channel BIO, plus 2-channel Demodulators.
- Luis has been checking out the PDH test chassis.
- Luis has been testing the SR3 heater driver chassis.
- Daniel and I have developed a set of scripts to work with Altium allowing intelligent wiring diagrams to be created. Working on library parts for wiring diagrams.
- Todd is testing VOPO suspension Coil Drivers for Squeezer.
- Sending two complete in-vacuum cable brackets to MIT for evaluation in the Squeezer cabling.
- Sent 71 tested AA/AI boards to LHO for 3rd IFO
NDS2 (client, server, and server infrastructure)
- integrated the nds2 client builds with the new CDS software build system
Data Analysis and Astrophysics LabWide Activities
- Worked with Sophia to identify a technique for generating statistical deviance when the
function is not invert-able and recommended the rejection method.
- Worked with Rory to profile his newest 12 dimensional parameter estimation codes based
on emcee python package and mpi4py.
- Bench-marked this PE code using the IntelPython distrbution and one I build up myself.
After solving a number of little issues was able to run the code against both and found
that I could beat the openBLAS and ATLAS implementations using MKL, but there are issues
remaining with load balancing on the head nodes at CIT that are being looked at.
- Weekly LSC group meetings dominated this week as planning for including Virgo data in
the upcoming engineering run gets closer.
- Worked on a number of LOSC tasks related to NDS2 and the BBH catalog.
- Participated in NSF LIGO Lab review
- Answered LOSC tickets
- Made updates to burst group section of white paper
Covers the last few weeks:
- SAMSI ASTRO program transition workshop in North Carolina: DCC G1700785
- Worked with SURF student on her proposal draft
- Worked on detchar section of 2017–2018 white paper
- Gave Mandel Lecture in Santa Cruz: https://wiki.ligo.caltech.edu/ajw?Outreach
- Worked on giving DetChar groups MOU feedback
- Working on coordinating DetChar efforts with the search groups
- Invited talk at FOE17: DCC G1700784
- Visited LHO to train and interface with the LSC fellows there
- Working with S.Hale on simple sequential NNs for signal detection
- working with Kent on mpi issues on CIT
- Worked on the Fscans with my STAR program student and checked code
changes into the lalsuite repository.
Advanced Distributed Data Analysis R&D
- Investigated how to make a clone of the IntelPython distribution in my account so that
custom packages for MPI could be added. After several iterations of fixing cloned
components was able to get an environment that allowed be to continue testing mpi4py
with the IntelPython. Found it to only be about 5% faster than my own build of all the
pieces from other sources.
LIGO Analysis and Open Data
Kent Blackburn (Jonah Kanner)
- Looked over the code for the BBH Catalog in LOSC.
- Discovered the links in the catalog for the 170104 event were missing and added them.
- Looked at ways to automate the restart of the NDS2 service under LOSC. Suggestions by
Stuart didn’t work for this service. Have contacted Jonathan Hanks for suggestions.
- Reviewed FAQ for instructions regarding data objects for events.
LDAS Software Systems
- Worked on converting the ldastoolsal package to CMake
- Ran system tests and requested that version 0.14.2 be moved into production.
- Separated root dictionaries into separate libraries.
- Worked on reducing the number of warnings generated
LDAS System Administration
Continued work rearchiving of T10KC -> T10KD (this week was just
verifying previously migrated trend frames).
O2 tape validation for last week finished without error, this week’s
Continued rsyncing LHO Hartman data to CIT–still haven’t gotten caught
up with LHO, but staged a bunch of data their to make it go faster.
At the request of Patrick Meyers, rm’d all the existing data under
/archive/frames/homestake so he could copy in new versions. Made sure
that the new data would be pinned to disk.
Opened a case with Oracle re drive 152. Ended up upgrading the drive
firmware and so far it’s been working right (tho’ the other T10KC drives
are all at the same, older firmware and aren’t having problems).
Fixed problem with samhome2’s 10.8 connecting with duct tape.
Found that the diskcache had, for reasons best known to itself,
removed all files under /hdfs from it’s output despite /hdfs/frames and
/hdfs/burst being in the mount points list. Told Ed and eventually
restarted the diskcache, whereupon it began working correctly. As a
result of this, ended up telling a few users to restart their jobs so
they’d quit using /archive/frames.
Noticed that DQ XML from LHO was falling behind. Turns out that a 16s
timeout is now too short to get anything done, despite working fine for
months (and continuing to work fine for LLO and Virgo). I’ve up’d the
timeout to 90s, and asked Dano & Greg to look into it. Let Ryan Fisher
know what was up.
- Lots of monkeying with the MOU reporting software after Lynn Cominsky found a bug. All fixed, so far so good.
- Rebuilt vmhost1 as Debian 8
- Assisted Eliu with Pegasus workflow failure on ldas-osg
- Assisted Anuradha with his held jobs
- Monitored cluster automated patching on the cluster
- Rebuilt the LDAP database entries on popeye and geppetto
- Resolved backend and client issues with LDAP auth
- Assisted Rory installing some Python packages
- Investigating LDAP auth on Solaris
- Updated the LIGO SAML2 metadata
- Assisted Sharon with package installation on a remote Ryzen node
- Assisted Drago with inaccessible NFS node mounts
- Replaced 8TB drives on node399 and upgraded ZFS options
- Managed Grid-enabled user accounts
- Requested and installed IGTF, InCommon/Comodo and/or LIGO-CA SSL cert
- Patched the DMT computers and coordinated adding the SRC channels back
into the C00 hoft frames.
- Verified raw, trend, and hoft data are up-to-date at LHO, LLO, and CIT.
- Answered questions about C01 hoft and discussed plans for the next
back of this data.
- Discussed LDAS plans after O2 ends.
- patched all Linux servers
- updated dgx–1 Nvidia driver
- retrieved some files from tape at user request
- continued migrating user accounts off thumper2
- helped CNAF reconfigure LDR server at Bologna
- worked on setting up ldas-osg-ce
- LLO LDAS Account Activations (6)
Routine software updates during Tuesday maintenance
Implemented the condor accounting tag enforcement for condor 8.6 on all submit hosts
Continued validating O2 data tapes
ER10 tape validation: Complete
O2 tape validation: Up to date modulo incomplete tapes
- DCC support: Changed document access levels, reactivate accounts, removed documents
- Work on DCC features
- Working on the script that would change the ACLs of DCC documents listed in an Excel sheet for Fred Raab.
- NSF Review support: made sure the reviewers had the proper access.
- Worked on RT tickets: Grouper updates, account reactivation questions
- Cron script bug fix
- Code inspection
- Updated the accented names in the myLIGO database
- Worked on moving equipment out of my current office to get ready to move into another office.
Larry helped with this.
- Worked on reloading a corrupted OS on a laptop for a user. This was a complete rebuild, backing up users data, then restoring it to the new build, plus reloading many engineering packages and GC software.
- More work on keeping an old server running until this gets migrated over to a new server. This is currently being worked on.
- Worked with Larry on some network changes to get ready for the upcoming office moves.
- Worked on a problem with our GoodSync server, this is now syncing correctly again.
- Weekly maintenance on the main PDM server..
- Ran security updates on multiple win/linux servers.
- Other misc. User support.
- More work on spam filters for users.
- Web support of the June NSF review.
- Web support of the Amaldi12 meeting.
- Work on the GWIC 3G website.
- Work on the new roster.
- Update of ligonews.blogspot.com.
- Work on Dave R’s webpage.
- Ongoing web maintenance tasks.
- Reworked SolidWorks licensing and placed order for renewal, working on getting it into Techmart for next year.
Placed orders for a few tool sets to facilitate equipment swaps.
Working on getting new quotes for new servers.
Some work on property disposal. Still working on a couple of lists of equipment for disposal.
Assisted a number of people with misc. h/w support items.
- Worked some logistics for the upcoming office moves.
Worked with Mike in staging a number of items for the office moves.
- Some minor work on the conference rooms.
Worked with Ryan on a sound check. Not all the s/w pkgs. produce the same quality. Need to go through and retest some of the pkgs.
- Installed another network edge-switch as part of migrating to the newer system. Also, cleared out a few more of the old connections and migrated them to the new core switch.
- Setup web-service and updated the server for Veronica.
- More logistics work for the Amaldi meeting.
- Spam filter rule changes. Patche/Updated the spam-filter appliance.
- Regular user support, service table modifications and some orientation/assistance work with the new students.
- Minor changes on the EPR system.
- Working on migrating user accounts to newer file server hardware.
- Network equipment procurement and further upgrade planning.
- Assisting CDS with packaging, APT repository management, and continuous build infrastructure.
- Building new user workstations.
- NSF review meeting support.
- Shibboleth IdP v3 installation/upgrade work.
- Investigating disk failures on one of the CIT IDSes.
- Providing patch notices.
- Weekly patches checked/applied to servers.
- Security server maintenance, alerting/incident follow-up.
- Other misc. user support and daily sysadmin tasks.
- I was a backup support person for the NSF review this week.
- Continued installation of new wireless system
- Network drop in the OSB mechanical room for outdoor wireless AP
- Python and Qtiplot issue for M. Heintze, resolved
- Added additional CanIT rules for phishing attempts. Generating ruleset reports to compare what is working well with CIT and LHO
- Setup additional nat router to separate staff network from guest network on new wireless system
- Attended GC meeting
- Misc user requests
Data Computing System (DCS)
- Participated in NSF review of LIGO
- Drafted May 2017 aLIGO Quarterly Report
Data Analysis Optimization
- travelled to, attended, and presented at the NSF review of LIGO operations
- worked with Satya M. (MIT) to enhance the LVC data analysis computing usage accounting system, identifying and reporting bugs, incorporating Open Science Grid computing usage, checking our calculation of each LIGO Data Grid site’s computing usage to accurately reflect the use of CPU Hyperthreading, and accounting for dedicated computing resources not managed by HTCondor.
- ad-hoc LIGO / Open Science Grid (OSG) systems administration duties
- LSC Computing & Software Committee chairperson duties (organizing and chairing meetings, preparing agendas, following up on requests and action items, etc.)
- Attended NSF review of lab operations, to be on hand to help prepare optimization related materials and answer questions.
Data Analysis Optimization Operations supported