Current skymap catalogs are:
Each will show a skymap, with probability contours on the sky, the position of the sun
and moon at any time after the event, a variety of image surveys, with deep zoom.
Overlay catalogs are:
A check box in the Skymap Viewer is labelled "Show Weighted Galaxies", which toggles display of
GWGC, but with the size of the box proportional to the prior (blue luminosity) multiplied by the skymap likelihood.
We note that the ensemble of events shown below were not drawn from a galaxy catalog, but rather uniform space.
The LIGO-Virgo Skymap viewer runs in a browser with no software to install, and is built with
- Gravitational Wave Galaxy Catalogue (GWGC) (White+ 2011)
- Compact Binary Coalescence Galaxy Catalog (Kopparapu+, 2008)
- Catalog of Rich Clusters of Galaxies (Abell+, 1989) [selection with z < 0.05]
- MCXC Meta-Catalogue if X-ray galaxy clusters (Piffaretti+ 2008) [selection with z < 0.05]
Get Started with the First2Years Collection
The list below shows a few skymaps taken from the First2Years simulated data, for
compact binary Coalescence (CBC) sources, as well as from
the the Burst First2Years simulated data for Burst sources.
There are a lot more skymaps available at the table of 1605 Burst skymaps, or the
table of 1784 Burst skymaps.
Here are a number of other skymaps taken from the same data releases.
- The profusion of concentric fringes is typical of HV and LV events (Figure 11) Rapid , PE
- This event consists of triggers in H and L and has a network SNR of 13.4. The rapid sky localization gives a 90% conﬁdence region with an area of 1170 deg2 and the full stochastic sampler gives 515 deg2 (Figure 10a and 10b) Rapid , PE
- A single, long, thin island exhibiting the forked-tongue morphology (Figure 7) Rapid , PE
- The skymap is bimodal with two long, thin islands of probability. Neither mode is strongly
favored over the other. Each island is forked like a snake's tongue, with one fork corresponding to the binary having face-on inclination and the other fork corresponding to face-off. (Figure 6) Rapid, PE
Gallery of Skymaps